How To Get Rid Of Mice In Your Portsmouth Home
Mice have been portrayed in media in a lot of ways. Mostly they are shown as invasive pests that elicit screams out of people. What is rarely shown is how dangerous these pests really are. Mice regularly invade Portsmouth homes and are known for spreading disease and damaging property. We are here today to make sure these problematic rodents aren’t causing trouble around your living areas. Here is what repels mice and some great prevention tips to keep them from invading your Portsmouth home.
What Repels Mice
There are many things that mice do not like. They dislike smells like clove oil and peppermint. They are scared of fake animals that are predators to them in the wild. They also dislike abrasive sounds. We do not, however, recommend you use these methods to deter mice from your home. It’s not just because they are expensive. Sound, sight, and smell-based deterrents only work for a season with mice. If they are determined to invade your home, they will learn to live with bad smells and they will discover that the sounds and sights they are seeing are not actually a threat to their health.
Some Strategies That Work To Prevent Mice
Although we do not recommend sight, smell, and sound-based deterrents, we do recommend other DIY control methods to keep these rodent pests out. Here are a few that we highly recommend you use around your Portsmouth home.
- Purchase a caulking gun and some steel wool. Use these items to fill in holes, gaps, and cracks in your home’s exterior foundation.
- Invest in door sweeps for all of your exterior doors.
- Repair damage to your home’s window/door screens.
- Clear out a five-foot area around your home’s exterior.
- Keep up with your lawn and landscaping.
- Clean clutter and debris out of your yard.
Eliminate sources of moisture build-up around your property after it rains.
- Have your gutters cleaned every year and repair damage that occurs to them.
- Make sure your indoor and outdoor trash cans have rodent-proof lids.
- Wipe down moist areas inside your home, such as bathtubs and sinks.
- Fix leaky pipes and fixtures.
- Clean your home thoroughly at least once a week and do your best to keep up with food messes and drink spills.
- Wash out your pet’s food and water bowls after they finish a meal.
- Store pet food, pantry items, and leftovers inside sealed containers.
How To Get Rid Of Mice Naturally
When mice invade a home, there is a limited amount of time where you have control to get them out. To quickly address these invasive rodents inside your living areas, use snap traps baited with peanut butter. Place these traps in areas you think mice are traveling. If you catch a few within a week or two and notice signs of activity level out, great! If problems continue, do not hesitate to involve a professional as it doesn’t take long for infestations to grow out of control.
The Benefits Of Profesional Rodent Control
There is no easier way to handle a mouse infestation than hiring the pest professionals at Ohio Pest Control Inc. We make rodent control simple for our community by offering quick and effective identification, trapping, and prevention services. Need more reasons to pick us? We have been in business since 1967, we are locally owned and operated, and we have a foundation in family values and top-tier customer service.